‘Polvoron’ or the Powdered Milk Candy is one of the most popular and favorite sweet Filipino delicacies. A kind of Andalusian shortbread of Levantine origin, Polvoron is round or oval-shaped sweet made of flour, sugar, butter, powdered milk, and nuts. A number of regional variants of the basic recipe are locally prepared in different area of the Philippines. Some of the most popular variants include Polvoron with pinipig, Strawberry Polvoron, cookies-and-cream Polvoron, Polvoron covered with dark chocolate, and Polvoron with Casuy. Now-a-days, this sweet has also become popular as a “pasalubong” gift presented to friends and family members who stay overseas.
Polvoron is not very difficult to make at home. Here is the traditional and original recipe for the same.
• All-purpose Flour: 4 cups
• Powdered Milk: 2 cups
• Butter (Melted): 1 ½ cup
• Finely granulated sugar: 2 cups
• Japanese paper/Cellophane strip
• Polvoron Moulder: regular/large/extra large size, depending on your need
Method of Preparation:
1) Put four cups of flour in a pan and heat over medium flame for nearly 15 minutes. Continue to stir constantly until the flour becomes light brown in color. Do not stop stirring to avoid burning the flour.
2) Once the flour becomes golden brown, turn off the heat and empty the flour into a big bowl.
3) Add powdered milk to the bowl and mix it well with the flour for 3-4 minutes.
4) Add melted butter and finely granulated sugar and mix well, until the mixture becomes homogenous.
5) Fill the mixture in the Polvoron mould and press it hard with the help of a spoon. The mixture should be thick and firm. If it is too loose, add more butter and olive oil until it becomes thick enough to enable you to pick up a Polvoron from the mold without it crumbling away.
6) Place the Polvoron in an air tight container and refrigerate until they become hard.
7) Once firmed, wrap each Polvoron individually in Japanese paper or cellophane and store them in the fridge.
Home-made Polvoron can be stored for a maximum of 7 days. You can also freeze them to store them for a longer period of time. Wrapping them in colorful papers and packing in gift boxes or baskets can make a wonderful gift during festive seasons.