Welcome to the Gourmet Indian Recipe Series. Today we bring you every Indian child’s favourite dish when they get home from school or get up in the morning; Poori and Potato Curry.
Ingredients: Poori: 1 cup of whole wheat flour, 1 tsp. oil, a pinch of salt, water, Potato Curry: 3 medium potatoes, 10 curry leaves, 5 small hot green chilli peppers, 1/4 tbsp. mustard seeds, 3 big onions sliced, 1/4 tbsp. tumeric powder, 1 tbsp. chickpea flour, oil, salt to taste
Poori 1. To make dough mix the flour with the salt and oil.
2. Mix in the water slowly until the texture is smooth. Let the dough sit covered in plastic wrap for an hour.
3. Pour a cup of oil into a frying pan and heat it up.
4. Then divide the dough into 10 to 12 balls. Make them really smooth and round.
5. Then take a ball and coat the entire ball of dough with some dry flour and roll it out with a rolling pin, until it is pretty thin but not delicately thin.
6. Place the flatten dough into the pan with the oil and flip it over to the other side. (The dough may puff out at this point but that’s alright).
7. Fry it until it is golden brown which shouldn’t take too long just a few seconds and then remove. Repeat.
1. Boil the potatoes and chop and dice into small pieces (peeled or unpeeled).
2. Roast the flour in a pan and set it aside to let it cool.
3. Put 1 tbsp. of oil in a large pot and fry the mustard seeds and chillis, put the tumeric powder in them and add potatoes and onions and some salt to taste.
4. Add 1 cup of water and let it boil for 10 minutes, covered.
5. Then mix the flour you roasted with 1/4 cup cup water and add this mixture into the curry.
Cook for 10 minutes, uncovered until thick. serve with poori.