Butternut Squash Mac n Cheese
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Overall Time: 45 minutes Servings: 6
A creamy drop mac and cheese with butternut squash puree and sage!
- 1 pound pasta (gluten-no cost for gluten-no cost)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-objective flour (rice flour for gluten-free)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sage, thinly sliced
- 2 cups milk (or broth)
- 2 cups cheese, shredded*
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (optional)
- 2 cups butternut squash puree (or pumpkin puree)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Begin cooking the pasta as directed on the offer.
- Meanwhile, soften the butter in a significant saucepan in excess of medium warmth and prepare dinner till it begins to switch a light golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkling in the flour, combine in the garlic and sage and prepare dinner, mixing, right until it turns a light-weight golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Increase the milk, convey to a simmer, mixing, and prepare dinner until eventually it thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Lessen the heat, include the cheese and enable it soften into the sauce.
- Combine in the nutmeg, mustard, and butternut squash puree right before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking water.
- Blend the pasta into the sauce, optionally including some of the reserved cooking water to thin the sauce out, if wished-for.
Option: Use your favorite cheese or combination of cheeses. I like strong cheddar or gruyere, fontiona, etcetera. along with parmesan, pecorino, and many others. Blue cheese is amazing with butternut squash!
Choice: Increase 4 ounces cream cheese in addition to the shredded cheese!
Selection: Best with a crispy breadcrumb topping! (Melt 1/4 cup butt in a pan, add 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, combine and prepare dinner until lightly golden brown before sprinkling more than the mac and cheese!
Option: Garnish with crispy butter fried sage!
Possibility: Garnish with bacon, or pancetta, or sausage, or shredded pepperoni! (Fried until finally crispy!)
Choice: Garnish with sauteed mushrooms!
Option: Garnish with pepitas!